POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bump Map Madness : Re: Bump Map Madness Server Time
16 May 2024 02:47:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump Map Madness
From: clipka
Date: 3 Dec 2008 11:35:00
Message: <web.4936b4a7f7160dffbdc576310@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> I am not sure about what you are refering at. The bumps look ok to me,
> except that there is an *illusion* of outside inside due to the lighting,
> but when you evaluate carefully you will see that the bumps are correct.

The bumps look *all* correct - as long as viewed by themselves; but they look
like the light is coming from different directions for the different bumps,
while they *should* look like they were all dented "inward", with the light
coming from the camera.

When I render it, some look as if they were dented "outward" instead, and some
even look as if the light was coming from sidewasy - but there is *no* light
source there: All the light sources are near the camera.

In this shot, I marked the bad dents (the scene is slightly different, using
colored little balls instead of colored faces to mark the "X", "Y" and "Z"
sides, but the basics of the scene are the same, and the cube is the same mesh
as well):

http://www.postimage.org/gxNhlii-2ff61a18c010d6fe99b9e86819bcfe62.jpg